AGM 2023 Minutes


St Ninian's Church, Corstorphine

Present: Committee – Kim Dalland, Anthea Lints, Rona Craig, Lucille Cruickshank, Jane Milliken, Carolyn Tough.

Helen Ferry, Jane Browitt, Isobel Edwards, Marjorie Beaumont, Audrey Hendry, Helen Maxwell, Barbara Bell, Avril Anderson, Ruth Addinall, Kath Murray, Margaret Grant, Fiona Smith, Maggie Barry, Jane Sinclair, Gillian McKirdy, Tina Brown.

Kim welcomed everyone to the meeting.

1. Apologies

Janette McLeod, Heather Davis Evelyn Baird, Pauline Alexander, Liz Cargill, Frieda Macrae, Gillian Black.

2. Minutes of AGM 2022

Proposed by K Murray; seconded by A Anderson

3. Matters Arising

a. same rink for KO and Thirds – last year it was decided to trial this idea. After a brief discussion it was voted against – 1. Members forgot who was in their rink; 2. They competitions don't run consecutively; 3. At CLCC variety was important and changing rinks provided better socialising. So for season 2023-24 we will revert to different rinks.

b. £500 donation to balcony extension project – discussed and agreed last year on the proviso it was going ahead. As of March 2023, the work has gone out to tender and MCL are discussing which to accept. Therefore this donation has now been made and a thank you received.

Jane Sinclair asked if CLCC would contribute any more. Not at the moment but it would depend on how the situation evolves.

c. Job Share – Avril, full member, and Ruth, reserve, were to job share for the first half of the season when Avril was away and this had been agreed. Kim explained, however, at the time we agreed the deal with Avril and Ruth we didn't know how the numbers were going to add up. As it turned out we had a fifth player, and therefore it was thought we shouldn't have a rink with stand down days.

4. President's Report

Kim acknowledged how so many CLCC ladies participated in Ladies Centre and Curl Edinburgh events as well as outside competitions. (See attached)

5. Treasurer's Report

In Janette's absence, Rona read out her Report which has been audited. Helen Maxwell asked about the £500 donation to MCL as it was not listed. As well as various other items mentioned in the Report this also needs to be deducted so the bank balance should read £1052. (See attached)

6. Summer Outing Wed 7 June

Visit to Clydesdale Horse Centre – Peggyslea Farm, Nine Mile Burn, Penicuik. They had featured on 'Landward' which covered a Clydesdale Horse Competition in Aberdeen. We will get a brief Presentation about the horses and then a carriage ride. Lunch of sandwiches; cakes and tea/coffee included. Cost £25pp. A sign up sheet was passed round. (Apologies to ladies who are allergic to horses – never thought about that) Those who weren't at the AGM are welcome to join the group.

7. Golf Outing Wednesday 10 May

Janette has organised tee times of 10am, 10.07 and 10.14. Cost £16 + £13 for a light lunch. Format as usual. Sign Up sheet passed round. This is also open to Walkers. In recent years this merry band has grown and now sometimes take a wee detour! Anyone wishing to join the golfers (handicap not necessary) or the walkers are welcome.

8. Hand Over to Incoming President

Kim handed over the President's badge to Anthea, who thanked Kim for her term as President during an especially difficult period with covid. Kim received a Past President's badge. (Apologies to Kim – we forgot the flowers)

9. Membership and Club Programme 2023-24

No members leaving. Frieda joining as a full member; Susan Skene, a lady flitting from Forfar, intends joining. A friend of Avril's intends joining either full or reserve. Total then 27/28. We will have 3 definite + 2/3 possible reserves. However we will have 3/4 five people rinks so stand downs, who take priority over reserves, will be available if needed.

The programme will depend on the balcony work and any delays encountered. If there is a delay in start of season it will likely be extended but number of weeks may just be 24 as this past season. CLCC programme therefore likely to be similar to this season.

Marjorie asked if we could still have a lunch after our last game, even if it wasn't a Bonspiel. Hopefully by next year Paul will have a kitchen and we can. Discussion about going to Kinross for a Closing Bonspiel and Lunch. However it all depends on when Curl Edinburgh closes, how many weeks the season will be, and the new facilities. But these ideas will be considered.

10. Election of Committee Members

Anthea explained that with covid the 2 year stint and roll over of Committee Members had got out of kilter. Lucille Cruickshank and Jane Milliken will stand down; Anthea has asked Heather Davis to be her Vice and she has agreed, Carolyn will remain for another year only, if the membership agrees. Approved.

Janette, after 13 years, has decided to stand down as Treasurer. She will gradually hand over to the new Treasurer as the summer and next season progresses so that she will be in post by AGM 2024.

Similarly, Rona intends standing down as Secretary at the AGM 2024.

It means that next year a further 3 will be required and thus the rolling system is back in place.

For this next season new members - Helen Maxwell -proposed by Avril; seconded by Maggie Barry

- Gillian McKirdy – proposed by Kath; seconded by Margaret Grant

- Barbara Bell – proposed by Jane Sinclair and Audrey Hendry

New Committee thus elected.

Anthea also mentioned the ambiguity in the wording of item 3 in the Constitution. The new Committee would look in to this and put a motion to the AGM 2024.

11. AOCB

a. Ladies Centre and Curl Edinburgh competitions – it was hoped CLCC would continue to support these as well as usual.

b. other AGM dates

(i) Edinburgh Women's Curling (our Ladies Centre) – Monday 24 April 10am for 1015 at St Ninian's, Corstorphine.

(ii) Ladies Branch – Saturday 13 May 2pm at Lanarkshire Ice Rink, Hamilton.

(iii) RCCC – Saturday 1 July 2pm at Forfar Indoor Centre.

(iv) ECC/MCL – tbc.

(v).EEC/MCL EGM – Tuesday 28 March 7pm at St Ninian's, Corstorphine. An email went out to all members re this.

c. Reserves ice fee – Kath suggested that this be raised to £10. Discussion re the Ladies Centre reserves didn't pay a fee; but they were doing clubs a favour and not members of that club. Reserves pay £20 membership fee so what did they get for that? Reserves are given the opportunity to play in any sign up games, ie Bonspiels, Points, Pairs.

Kath then proposed the increase to £10, seconded by Jane Sinclair – passed 18 votes. Avril proposed that no charge be made for sign ups. Seconded by Tina Brown. Again passed 18 votes.

d. Christmas Bonspiel – it was unanimously decided that having a theme and dressing up had been exhausted. Therefore Christmas jumpers would be sufficient.

e. International 3 day Coaching event in Prague - Maggie wondered if anyone was interested as it was for all levels of ability. Cost in the region of £1000.

f. Ladies Centre ice fees – Ruth thanked Janette for collecting in fees from those playing in the Centre competitions. It means only one payment necessary to the Ladies Centre from CLCC ladies.

g. And finally! – Rona had noticed that this year 2023 is the 40th Anniversary of the Club. Did we wish to recognise this with perhaps a Dinner near the beginning of the season before the end of 2023? It was thought we probably should. The Committee would look in to this.

This being all the business Kim and Anthea presented the prizes to the winners.

Meeting closed at 1145am.


Minutes Committee Meeting

Wednesday 1 February 2023

Curl Edinburgh 12 noon

Present: K Dalland, A Lints, R Craig, J McLeod, J Milliken, H Davis, L Cruickshank, C Tough

1. Apologies


2. Minutes of previous meeting 23.11.2022 and matters arising

Approved Kim, seconded Heather.

3. Competitions

District Medal contested at Ayr against Dundonald. Corstorphine Ladies won with M Barry, R Addinall, R Craig and J Bruce.

Midlothian Province –Both teams entered lost by one point. Overall winner was Carrington, of which Heather was a part.

Sellar – an MCL competition open to teams from around Scotland and played over 2 days. Of the 16 finalists 10 were from Corstorphine Ladies. Kim, Janette were in the runners up team in the Low Road; Rona, Jane Bruce, Fiona Smith were in the runners up of the High Road; Maggie Barry, Ruth Addinall, Avril Anderson were in the winners of the High Road and Carolyn and Heather in the winners of the Low Road.

Four Nations – held in Aberdeen as host nation Ireland don't have curling rinks. Kim and Rona were selected.

4. President's Report

Kim advised her report would be covered in subsequent items. She did say that we were strong as a club

5. Treasurer's Report

Balance as of 1 February 2023 £1710.92

6. President's Dinner 22.02.2023

Kim thanked Anthea for negotiating with Bruntsfield Golf Club. Carvery menu had been chosen. Welcome drink of Proseco or a soft drink. Kim would organise the entertainment. A quiz for the table and a Beetle Drive for after were suggested. Action: KD

Attendees will be asked to pay the £32 into CLCC account. The deadline date was moved forward to 8 February. Action: RC

Unfortunately 22nd Feb is Ash Wednesday a day Catholics fast so it will preclude some members from attending.

7. AGM and Prize Giving

Due to lack of facilities at Curl Edinburgh now, this will be held at St Ninian's Church Halls, Corstorphine 15 March at 10.30. Cost is £22.50 per hour and 2 hours have been booked. Kim will bring tea/coffee, milk and sugar. Action: KD

Attendees asked if, if possible, bring a cake or tray bakes. It was thought to charge £3pp. Action: RC

Membership – though formal membership forms are issued end of July, it is helpful to have an indication of members' intentions for 2023-24 by the AGM. Action:RC

Anthea raised the issue of a Reserves' status. They pay a membership fee and for ice when they play but what is their status? It was agreed a definition of this is required. Action: AL

Trophies – all trophies to be returned by 1 March so they can be engraved.

Committee Members – according to the Constitution all 4 Committee members are due to come off this AGM. Unfortunately the rolling system for continuity has de-rolled! However to maintain this continuity, at least 2 should demit and 2 new ones found. Nominations will be sought for 2 new members. Action: RC

Anthea takes over as President and she will find a new vice!! Janette indicated she has been Treasurer before anyone can remember so she'd be happy to relinquish the role!

Skips' Picks Meeting – Carolyn will organise a meeting with skips' preferably before the AGM. Action: CT

8. Summer Outing

Rona suggested a visit to the 'Clydesdale Experience'! A lady in Edinburgh Ladies has a farm near Penicuik where she keeps Clydesdale horses and attends shows with them. They offer packages. However only Wednesday in June available is the 7th. It was agreed to book one – half hour presentation and a half hour carriage ride plus tea/coffee, sandwiches and cakes. Cost £25pp. Start time 11am. Action: RC

9. Golf Outing

Janette to book this annual event at Ratho GC on Wednesday 10 May. Action: JMcL

10. A.O.C.B.

Rona suggested making a trophy with the District Medals as currently 5 just sit in a box. This was not favoured.

Date of Next Meeting to be arranged by new Committee after AGM.


Minutes of Committee Meeting at the home of the President, 172 Echline Drive, South Queensferry

Wednesday 24 August 2022 at 10 am

Present: K Dalland, A Lints, R Craig, J McLeod, J Milliken, C Tough, L Cruickshank

1. Apologies

H Davis

2. Minutes and Matters Arising of Meeting 16 February 2022

Approved by Kim, seconded by Janette

Matters Arising AGM

As requested Points to be reinstated.

Any donation to ECC for work on balcony continues on hold. ECC/MCL still don't have planning permission as MIR has not yet agreed terms. The club room will no longer be available despite the lease ending 31 Dec. But a kitchen area has been installed where the office was. Paul will be unable to provide such a wide menu but we will have catering.

3. President's Report

  • The Summer Outing to Abbotsford had been very successful as had the Golf Outing. Kim said the Walkers Group had expanded and was being more catered for. She thanked Rona and Janette for organising these events respectively.
  • She reported that Alison Heneaghan's knee was not progressing as well as hoped therefore she was dropping to Reserve. Helen Maxwell would replace her as a Second.
  • A 'Stick' Coaching event has been organised at Kinross on Friday 16 September for anyone interested. Contact Kim for further details.

4. Treasurer's Report

  • Concerns were expressed at how many members Janette had to chase up over mistakes with arithmetic or not completing all the forms.
  • It was suggested that splitting paying dues was only applicable this year. Agreed.
  • Account stands at £9288.07 but Ice Dues have still to be paid.
  • Reserve ice fees was discussed and it was agreed to raise to £6.
  • A change of signatory for cheques was required. It was decided that Anthea should complete the bank form rather than Kim as by the time the Bank processes it, Anthea will be President!! Action: AL; JMcL

5. Ice Allocation and Club Programme

Ice Allocation arrived yesterday, ie 23Aug. We have been given the ice requested. However ECC has decided to close early on 11 March due to soaring energy costs so we will lose 2 weeks. They have allocated 21 Dec in compensation. A discussion ensued about what to drop. It was agreed the Haymarket game (they can only fields 4 teams this season). Kim suggested the Closing Bonspiel and move the AGM to after the last game of the Thirds. This was also agreed. However Haymarket would be asked if they could play on 21 Dec as not many of our members like to play that week being so near Christmas. If not we would not accept that date. ECC requires an acceptance by the end of the month! Action: RC

6. New Season's Documents

President's Summer Newsletter, Payment Forms x 3, Opening Bonspiel and Lunch form, Privacy Policy.

Had been sent and had been returned!!

7. Syllabus

Would be printed this season. Agreed members details to come under Full, Reserves, Associates. Action: RC

8. Rinks for Season 2022-23

  • We have 25 Full members but as Avril is away for most of the first half, the 5th person would be slotted into that team. As per agreed if a Skip was absent the rest of the team would move up a position.
  • In a 5 man team Skips would also take a turn of being Stand Down.
  • Kim, Janette and Jill are on US Tour 17 Oct-12 Nov so it was decided to split L1 with the KO so they would only miss the KO and one L1 game. Jane contact all Reserves in the first instance to see who is available to sub on those dates. Action: JM
  • Draw was completed as per 'Format' sheet. As was agreed at the AGM, the same teams for the KO and the Thirds would be trialed.
  • Opening Bonspiel Draw also done. Rona to ask Paul about catering for the lunch. Action: RC

9. Curl Edinburgh and Province Competitions

As previously agreed, Committee would first ask Skips who'd like to play, then ask members who'd like to play. Members of the Committee along with the chosen Skip choose the team. Members would play in the position they play in for the Club though this will depend on who volunteers. (eg if 2 seconds and no 3rds wish to play one will have to play 3rd)

  • Midlothian Province Bonspiel -2 teams. Usually January. Midlothian has been drawn against Ayrshire for 2022-23. Action: AL
  • b. District Medal - 1 team. Draw done by SC which will tell us who we against and if Home/ Away. Match Secretary will then liaise with opposition either, after consulting with Curl Edinburgh, offering 3 possible dates or being offered 3 dates. Action: AL
  • c. Waldie-Griffith - 1 team. Inter Province Competition which Midlothian Province won with CLCC

(Maggie, Ruth, Rona, Kim), DAFs, SIAE, and Midcalder. Photo taken with the trophy at RCCC AGM.

  • d. HB Playdowns - 7/8 Dec; CLCC team required. Carolyn said she would Skip on the understanding she would not do it again. Heather Davis and Liz Cargill had expressed interest in playing so would join her. One more required. Finals at Stranraer 27 Feb - 2 March
  • e. BHF -Fri 21 Oct - 1 team
  • f. ECC Sellar Open Competition - 25/26 January

10. AOCB

  • President's Dinner - usually Wednesday mid February. Kim asked Anthea to enquire if we could get Bruntsfield Golf Club again. Entertainment to be organized. Action: AL; KD
  • b. 40th Anniversary Celebration -agreed we should do something Sept 2023
  • c. website - Janette does a great job with this and everyone was encouraged to access it.

  • d. New Season Documents -questions have been raised as to why payment has to be made by mid August when ECC does not require it till Beginning October. Basically this is how it has always been done! However there is no reason why it can't be changed till beginning September. However if a booklet is to be produced, and as accurately as possible, details are required by then. Only payment ensures commitment. Also the draw for Rinks is needed, not only for booklet, but members need to know. To be discussed at a future meeting. Action: All

Meeting closed at noon.

Date of next Meeting tbc